Book Recommendations: Part One

As I’ve mentioned before, reading is a form of escapism for me and I absolutely love getting lost in the pages and sucked into a new world. I was debating on whether I should publish a blog post sharing book recommendations based on what I’ve read recently and after asking around and receiving positive feedback, I decided that I would go ahead with it. I shared one list of book recommendations back in February for LGBT History Month, but from now on I will try and share a post with a few book recommendations every so often. The books I share will be diverse and will cover different genres (a lot of YA and romance stories) and I will also be sure to include trigger warnings. Anyway, enough of me babbling on and onto the list…

One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston

Let me start off by saying this book is everything.  I was completely obsessed with it when I was reading it and I definitely cried at least three times during and after finishing it. The story follows cynical August who believes the best thing you can do in life is rely on yourself and yourself alone. Set in New York, August meets the mysterious, 20 something, leather jacket clad Jane on the train and soon, seeing Jane becomes the best part of August’s commute. However, August soon discovers that Jane looks like a 70s punk lesbian because she, quite literally, is displaced from the 70s and August makes it her mission to uncover the truth about Jane and help her before it’s too late. From found family to diverse representation to love of all kinds – this book is packed full characters you’ll fall in love with and a story that will leave you wanting more. (Trigger/Content warnings: talk of death, homophobia and racism mentioned and talk of hate crimes)

Zara Hossain Is Here by Sabina Khan

In my previous post of book recommendations, I included Sabina Khan and I had to include her again because ‘Zara Hossain Is Here’ is a book that everyone needs to read. The story follows a 17-year-old Pakistani immigrant, Zara, and her family and their life living in Texas. Zara leads a fairly typical teenage life and keeps her head down to ensure nothing jeopardizes her and her family’s visa status. However, after the racist bully at her school leaves racist graffiti on Zara’s house, a violent attack follows and the future of Zara’s life as she knows it hangs in the balance. The book has a huge focus on the struggles for immigrants in America, navigating life as both a member of the LGBTQ+ community and a brown girl, hope in the face of hate and adversity and love; romantic, familial, and platonic love. (Trigger/Content warnings: racism, bullying, Islamophobia, gun violence)

Hani and Ishu’s Guide to Fake Dating by Adiba Jaigirdar

I’m a sucker for the fake dating trope so this book immediately sucked me in – as well as the fact that I was already a fan of Adiba Jaigirdar’s writing; having read ‘The Henna Wars’. The story follows two polar opposite Bengali girls. Humaira “Hani” Khan is the popular easy-going type whereas Ishita “Ishu” Dey is an academic overachiever. Hani comes out as bisexual to her friends who immediately shut her down and invalidate her as she’s only ever dated guys. Feeling the family pressure, Ishu decides to run for head girl, but she knows she isn’t exactly popular. The two girls soon realise they can help each other out to prove Hani is bisexual and to help Ishu gain popularity. However, as the fake dating tropes tend to go…real feelings start to crop up, but nothing is simple or easy for these two queer brown girls. It was a cosy, easy read and this sapphic desi romance needs to be on your list. (Trigger/Content warnings: racism, homophobia, biphobia, toxic friendships)

The Falling In Love Montage by Ciara Smyth

For Saoirse, happy endings and all the other stereotypes you find in rom-coms don’t exist and she has closed herself from all that following a break up and because of her mother’s early onset dementia. However, by chance, she meets Ruby at an end of term party. Ruby loves rom-coms and Saoirse finds herself wanting to break her own rules for this girl, who insists that they can have a summer of fun, packed full of cliches and the typical ‘falling in love’ montage that features in rom-com movies. It’s a fool proof plan really… Except, the characters in movies tend to fall in love at the end of the aforementioned montage… Something they forgot when they said their montage would end by the end of summer. This book was an adorable love story whilst also dealing with serious topics of family illnesses and relationships. (Trigger/Content warnings: parent with dementia)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Grow Up

Why I Love Disneyland Paris

Disney at Home